West Georgia is one of the best places to live and work in the state, but the nationwide and statewide trends toward obesity have affected west Georgia and are taking a toll on the overall health of our community. According to recent reports by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Georgia Department of Community Health, the percentage of obese adults is rising rapidly in Georgia.
How we are losing the battle of the bulge:
- Georgia has the 14th highest rate of adult obesity in the nation.
- Georgia has the third highest rate of overweight youths (ages 10 to 18) in the nation.
- Approximately 30 percent of adult Georgians are obese.
How we exercise:
- Only 40 percent of adults in Georgia are regularly active. Adults with a safe and convenient place to walk in their community are more likely to be regularly active (42 percent) than adults without a safe place (27 percent).
- Only 52 percent of middle school students and 43 percent of high school students in Georgia meet the CDC’s requirements for recommended physical activity.
How we eat:
- Among adults in Georgia, 26 percent report eating less than one serving of vegetables a day and 38 percent report eating less than one serving of fruit a day.
- Only 17 percent of high school students in Georgia consume five or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
Transforming Ourselves and Our Community Together
Get Healthy West Georgia is committed to reversing these trends, but we need your participation to make it happen. With a goal of walking, running or otherwise reaching 1 million miles and losing 15 tons annually in Carroll, Haralson and Heard counties during the three-year initiative, Get Healthy West Georgia removes all barriers to making a decision to live a healthier lifestyle and taking the steps to make it happen.
Simply click Get Started to begin your healthier lifestyle now! After completing a short health assessment, you’ll have access to a free online software tool that will provide you with the information, food and exercise tracking, encouragement and social interaction that you need to get healthy in west Georgia.
Want to do even more? Companies and organizations are invited to Get Involved by becoming a sponsor or supporter.