Eat Fresh, Eat Local Challenge begins July 1
By gbrandenburg on in Nutrition Challenge with No Comments
Eat Fresh, Eat Local Challenge
Summer offers a wide variety of colorful and tasty produce. Fresh foods are not only more nutritious, they also taste great and can be found right here in your own community. Get Healthy West Georgia is partnering with the West GA Locavore group to challenge you to eat locally during the month of July. A locavore is a person who makes an effort to eat food that is grown, raised or produced locally, usually within 100 miles of home.
We invite you to explore healthy food choices by eating in-season, locally grown foods such as vegetables, fruits, honey, meats, dairy products and much more. Eating locally is not only healthy but it also helps our local economy by supporting sustainable farms and businesses. Discover more about the benefits of eating local; receive recipes, tips and much more. To learn more about being a locavore, visit the West GA Locavore Challenge at www.westgalocavore.com.
Eat Fresh, Eat Local Challenge:
- Time frame: July 1 - July 31
- Goal: Eat local food items for the month of July.
- Achievement: Earn your Challenge Badge, from a “Taste Size” with adding at least 15 locally grown food items during the month of July, up to “Feast Size,” eating the majority of your food from local sources.
- Prize: A gift basket donated by Farmer’s Fresh CSA will be awarded to a randomly selected participant who earns at least the “Taste Size” badge during the challenge. Be sure to log your local food items by Aug. 1.
To participate in the Eat Fresh, Eat Local Challenge:
- Go to www.GetHealthyWestGeorgia.org.
- Click “Get Started” to join or “Login” if you are a returning member.
- View and accept the challenge to participate.
- Log your local food every day.